Longer Massage Sessions Better for Neck Pain
March 21, 2014 Neck Pain
Massage therapy can reduce chronic neck pain when done by a professional for the right length of time, a new study shows. The findings suggest that 60-minute sessions are better than 30-minute sessions, and that patients need to receive the treatment multiple times a week to experience the best results.
Chronic neck pain is a widespread problem, and is most commonly caused by car accidents, computer work, awkward sleeping positions, and aging. Patients often find that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs fail to provide relief, and turn to non-drug solutions such as massage therapy and chiropractic care.
Earlier studies have pointed to the benefits of regular massage therapy for back and neck pain, but it was unclear how long the treatment sessions need to be, and how frequent, in order for patients to experience results. Researchers from the Group Health Research Institute in Seattle studied 228 patients with persistent neck pain who were randomly assigned to one of six groups. Treatments groups included 30-minute massages two to three times per week; 60-minute massages one, two, or three times per week; and a control group who received no treatment.
After four weeks of massage therapy, the patients treated with 60-minute massages three times weekly had the biggest improvements. These patients were nearly fives times more likely to have clinically meaningful gains in function, and twice as likely to have clinically meaningful reductions in pain.
The authors advised against relying on friends or family for massages, since their study specifically included experienced massage therapists. Massage performed incorrectly could potentially cause muscles spasms and tightening. Additionally, patients with back or neck pain frequently compensate by relying more heavily one area of the body, leading to additional trigger points and other symptoms. Massage therapists and chiropractors are trained to spot these compensations, which the layman cannot always see.
While massage can ease muscle tension and trigger points, chiropractic care can treat underlying disorders in the spine causing neck pain. Chiropractors can also offer patient education and exercise therapies to prevent future pain. Research shows that chiropractic care is more effective than several common medications for neck pain.
Sherman KJ, et al. Five-week outcomes from a dosing trial of therapeutic massage for chronic neck pain. Archives of Family Medicine 2014. 12 (2): 112-120. doi: 10.1370/afm.1602.
Written by: Marissa Luck on March 21, 2014.on March 20, 2014.
In keeping with the 'REASONS TO HAVE A MASSAGE' please click on this link
Life is great, Love and light to all
Occupationally induced posture problems seems to be the theme this week!
Seeing a few young people with neck and shoulder aches and pains due to being on the phone at work whilst using a PC so , no hands on the phone, just holding it between the ear and the shoulder. The aches and pains can be managed with soft tissue manipulation and some joint mobilization work. What is needed though is for people to have a regular maintenance rub to prevent these aches and pains having a negative effect on life. 'PREVENTION IS FAR BETTER THAN CURE'
If this is you contact me and let me ease your suffering, you will feel a million times better and will start to get more from your life.
Life is great, Love and light to all
Reasons to have massage therapy;
Please read this and then pick up the phone or go to your e-mail account and book in while it is fresh in your mind, let me help improve your quality of life:
1. Massage makes you feel FANTASTIC! - Okay, that's mostly my own personal view.
2. Find relief from pain: - This can be muscle pain from tiredness, or the pain of some physical conditions like fibromyalgia. Massage has no side effects, yet the hormone release in the body mimics the effects of pain killers. So essentially we're encouraging the body to do naturally, what we inflict on it chemically.
3. You will benefit from a calmer and clearer mind: - Perhaps this is a good strategy to delay the onset of some of the disorders of mind decay.
4. You can expect a faster recovery from illness or injury: - Mainly this is due to an accelerated delivery of oxygen and nutrients to the damaged area.
5. You can expect to receive far fewer injuries and illnesses in the future: - As the physical therapist to a rugby team, I can vouch for this as being 100% true.
6. Massage is no short term temporary fix: - If you can find, and then eliminate, the CAUSE of your pain, your massage can bring long term, even life long, benefits.
7. Improved breathing and oxygenation of your body: - Reducing the stresses around the ribs and intercostal muscles can improve restrictions in the breath which allows you to breathe deeper and fuller thus increasing the oxygen in your blood.
8. Endorphin release: - Yes, those little 'feel good' hormones secreted within the brain and nervous system, producing a number of physiological functions, including pain relief, anxiety/stress reduction, and relaxation. They are peptides that activate the body's opiate receptors, causing an analgesic effect. In other words, they make you feel wonderful (see no.1).
9. Improve circulation throughout the body: - Improving the flow of blood and lymph ensures the body doesn't stagnate through lack of movement. Massage coupled with regular walks, fresh air and exercise, is a recipe for good health. Increased circulation ensures the efficient delivery of blood, oxygen, nutrients and water to every part of the body. Healing is speeded up and so is the removal of toxicity from the body.
10. More energy! - More oxygen = more energy. Without efficient oxygen delivery to the cells, they become tired, sluggish and more easily prone to disease. (which conveniently brings us to no.11)
Life is great, love and light to all.
A few clients were seen at the St Helens Chiropractic and acupuncture clinic, all bar 1 were physical treatments:
A married couple attending for their 3rd visit, he with a shoulder problem and the good lady with a leg problem. Rotator cuff work has helped the gentleman regain movement in his shoulder and lymphatic drainage work has eased the good ladies leg discomfort.
Next was a lovely lady with an arm problem that was related to a shoulder problem, rotator cuff work also helped this lady.
The next was a troubled young man visiting for his 3rd hypnotherapy session in a series he is having to help him rid himself of his past demons that are affecting his relationships with other people.
Finally a gentleman attended for a follow up treatment to keep the soft tissue previously worked on to resolve a hip/thigh problem, nice and relaxed. We are now booking him in for maintenance work in 4 weeks time to prevent a re occurrence of his problem.http://www.sthelenschiropractic.co.uk/
Life is great, LOVE AND LIGHT TO ALL
Whenever I meet people for the first time everyone has a degree of 'what's it all about' in them, i.e. a degree of trepidation although if they are in pain they have a common attitude which is a desire to be pain free. The downside to this is that if I remove the pain they now feel relieved and do not see the need to come back for more treatment!
Often an occupation can be the reason the pain is there and unless the occupation is changed the pain will come back unless you recognise this and embark on a course of treatment designed to PREVENT a re occurrence. Time after time over my career as a therapist I tell people that they need to come back regularly working on the basis of PREVENTION rather than CURE and time after time people fail to see the validity in this until they are in need of repair again!
I state this in an attempt to get more people to understand why prevention works: Relate yourself to a car, and the service programme that comes with it. The manufacturers say that if you follow the service programme not only will your car be more efficient (therefore cheaper to run) but that it is also less likely to breakdown! The higher spec car you get the more intense the servicing requirements, e.g a formula 1 car virtually gets re built after each run out as it operates at it's performance limit everytime it is driven. You too will be more efficient and less likely to breakdown if you had treatment of mind and body on a regular basis! Ask yourself this question;
HOW OFTEN DO YOU TAKE AN HOUR OUT OF YOUR DAY JUST FOR YOU?
1 session of treatment to calm your mind or relax your muscles will improve your quality of life
Life is great, love and light to all
Life is great when you can help other people achieve their goals. The picture on the left will resonate with the young lady I saw this morning and lots of you out there. She came to me for a session of holistic therapy to help her lose weight, after a consultation and a chat we decided on a Reiki session to begin the process by getting her nice and relaxed. What transpired was a wonderful journey of self discovery as during the treatment she realised that she was the master of her own destiny and that she was the one who had got her to where she is now and that if she wanted to change then it was up to her!
We talked about a healthy eating plan and an exercise regime that fits with her lifestyle and a programme of supporting holistic therapy and she left ready to transform herself over the next few months,
Life is great, embrace it, love and light to all.
Continue to work with all of my therapy skills; Reiki has helped lots of people with stress and relaxation, rehabilitation massage has improved lots of peoples quality of life by removing their pain and Hypnotherapy has helped a variety of people to move on in their lives by getting them to relax and kick start their subconscious mind into working for them with so many different problems e.g. low self esteem, lack of self confidence, anger issues, weight issues, depression etc.
I feel privileged to have been able to help so many people with so many different problems;
LIFE IS GOOD, Love and light to all
Not blogged for AGES, sorry people had a major pc meltdown and its taken a while to get to the bottom of the problem and solve it!!
Wednesday night boot campers were amazing, after a warm up and stretch out they were treated to a circuit as follows:
Straight leg raise
99 reps with a 99 sec wall sit and 9 press ups followed by 88 reps with an 88 sec wall sit and 8 press ups, 77,66,55,44,33,22 reps finishing with a balls out run for 11mins. This amounts to 484 reps of star jumps/crunches and straight leg raises, 8mins of wall sitting and 44 press ups. A testing session that was attacked by all with relish, well done to all boot campers a truly great effort by you all.